Matanza @ TWO
September 5th, 2012
- From November 1st The White Olive is offering the chance to witness and take part in a Matanza, alongside courses in the preparation of chorizo, jamon, morcilla and many other artisan products from Spain. A short connection from Malaga, Seville, Granada and Jerez.
- The Matanza is a pig sacrifice that takes place across remote Andalucian households in November and is as controversial as bullfighting, although a more ancient tradition. For anybody interested in sustainable lifestyles containing meat, it is a humbling experience.
- Since before the times of the inquisition when Muslim and Jewish families prepared more pork than their Catholic contemporaries to prove their conversion, pork was present in rustic dishes for centuries and the Matanza is arguably one of the most important rituals in Andalucian culture. It symbolises the beginning of winter when mountain temperatures during the day are bright warm and sunny and at night often drop to below zero as evenings draw in.
- The Matanza is a three day event with the coming together of extended families helping each other to prepare enough meats for the coming season and usually coincides with a local festival.
- Come and witness mans victory over beast. A reminder in biblical proportions the values we have set aside to live in peace.
- Prices from e750 per person, full board per week. Includes a 3 day matanza and festival. Three days of mountain activities in partnership with Pangea.
- Ronda and The White Olive offers the perfect setting for families and friends, corporates, reunions, weddings. Please contact INFO@THEWHITEOLIVE.COM for more information or reply to this mail. Full board,half board B&B services available at our rustic retreat. Sleeps 20.